Athlete’s foot can be tricky to deal with, and the infection causes uncomfortable symptoms like itching, burning, and a rash that appears scaly. Thankfully, however, there are steps you can take to prevent this from happening or prevent it from becoming worse than it is.
Preventing Athlete’s Foot
- Always wear fresh socks-you should change socks at least once a day. However, if you have excessive issues with sweating, a podiatrist may recommend you change them at least twice.
- Switch your shoes-instead of wearing the same shoes every day, switch them at least two to three times a week. That gives them time to air out and dry, so bacteria and fungus don’t grow.
- Keep your feet dry at all times– keeping your feet as dry as possible ensures that moisture doesn’t collect. When water contains, you will find that your toes get damp and clammy, leading to fungal infection. You need to ensure that you keep your feet dry between the toes, especially as the moisture loves to live.
- Never go barefoot in public rooms- they have contaminated floors, as do showers and pools. Bathrooms are another area that has issues and can cause this issue to spread. When you visit these places, always have protective shoes, and waterproof flip-flopsare considered the best option.
- Don’t share clothing-you should never share socks and shoes with anyone else. That is the fastest way that you can spread this infection. When you share clothes, it can cause Athlete’s foot to appear on your feet, and however, it can apply to your hands and other areas as well.
Our dedicated and loyal team at Your Next Step Podiatry can heal whatever problems occur in your heels, ankles, and feet. We have a professional and caring group of doctors that prioritize you and your health. Dr. Eric Ricefield, Dr. Mark Yagodich, Dr. Aliza V. Eisen are incredible teams offering the latest skin lesion treatment, nail laser centers, and help with Achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis. Our offices are in the glorious areas of Montgomery County, Greater Philadelphia, Downingtown, and the Greater Philadelphia area, and Paoli. Offering you fantastic treatment, we can heal any issue that comes your way. Call our office in Downingtown at (610) 873-0322 or our Ardmore office at (610) 642-8837 to schedule an appointment today.