Sunday is the first day of spring, and it’s close to the time when you set your feet free from their winter footwear. And with sandal season (hopefully) being right around the corner, will your feet be ready? To help, today Dr. Eric Ricefield, Dr. Mark Yagodich, and Dr. Aliza V. Eisen of greater Philadelphia’s Your Next Step Foot and Ankle Care Center are sharing their 9 top tips to get your feet ready for their big debut!
Taking some time to indulge your feet in preparation for the warmer weather can make them feel and look their very best. Taking care of your feet properly not only encourages good hygiene, but it can also help identify any problems that need further attention. It’s also an excellent way to relax and ease some of the stress following a long, cold winter.
Step into Spring with These 9 Tips
- Cleanse Daily: Wash your feet each day with water and soap and dry them gently, being sure to dry completely between your toes.
- Enjoy in an Indulging Soak. Immerse your feet in warm water with oils, Epsom salts, or herbal soaks for at least 10 minutes.
- Eliminate the Skin Buildup: Use a foot file or pumice stone with gentle movements to remove thickened, dead skin buildup on the heels, balls, and sides of your feet.
- Lock the Softness In: Seal in moisture by wearing cotton-poly blend socks whenever you’re relaxing or sleeping.
- Trim Those Toenails: Using a straight-edged clipper, trim your nails so they are even with the end of the toes to ensure that nails aren’t rounded in the corners. If trimmed incorrectly, ingrown toenails can develop.
- Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate: Apply emollient-rich lotion all over your feet to nurture the skin. Remove excess lotion between your toes as this can cause athlete’s feet to develop.
- Footwear First: Take a look at your warm-weather footwear and get rid of any that have excessive wear.
- Exfoliate: Remove dry, winter skin all over your feet using an exfoliating scrub.
- Schedule a Visit Your Podiatrist: If any nail or skin issues exist, see a podiatrist for a checkup.
Speaking of a checkup, when’s the last time you had one?
Contact the offices of greater Philadelphia’s Your Next Step Foot and Ankle Care Center. Click here to locate the office nearest you and schedule an appointment today to get your feet ready for spring!