Pregnancy is a unique time in a woman’s life when enormous changes are happening throughout the body. The obvious one is the expanding belly, but other areas can be noticeable as well, such as swelling of the feet and ankles. Although it is a normal and common condition that helps prepare the body for a healthy delivery, it can become uncomfortable especially towards the end of pregnancy.
Follow these helpful hints to manage and reduce your swelling:
- Avoid standing for long periods of time
- Eat potassium rich foods like bananas and avoid caffeine and salty foods
- Stay active through pregnancy appropriate exercises such as yoga and swimming
- Sleep on your side
- Elevate your feet when resting
- Stay hydrated – drinking plenty of water can help your body get rid of sodium
- Wear comfortable shoes – custom orthotics can offer extra support
If you experience sudden or uneven swelling, consult with a medical professional to rule out conditions like preeclampsia. A foot care specialist can help with any foot or ankle discomfort and create custom orthotics to correct any abnormal foot mechanics.
At Your Next Step, you have access to a team of experienced board-certified podiatrists, Dr. Eric Ricefield, Dr. Mark Yagodich and Dr. Aliza V. Eisen, who are dedicated to providing you with high quality foot and ankle care. With advanced technologies and a compassionate staff, patients are treated for their unique conditions, such as heel pain, tendon pain, sports injuries, arthritis, diabetic foot problems, pediatric foot problems, toe deformities, nail fungus, and arch problems. We have 3 convenient offices located in Paoli, Ardmore, and Downingtown to serve the greater Philadelphia and surrounding areas. Please visit us online for more information and to schedule an appointment today!