Don’t let the winter weather scare you from staying active! One of the most popular and easiest ways to stay in shape is to jog or run. Although the extreme New England winter weather can pose challenges, these tips can help you be prepared and succeed in becoming stronger and healthier!
- Have a buddy – Stay motivated and have fun with a friend!
- Find paved pathways for safety and ease
- Protect your feet – Moisture wicking socks and water resistant shoes can help keep your feet warm
- Dress appropriately – Dress in comfortable layers to prevent sweating
- Warm up – Take plenty of time to warm up and stretch your muscles pre-run
- Keep your shoes dry – Stuff newspapers inside shoes to soak up the moisture
- Consider the wind – If it’s windy, run facing the wind on the way, and finish with the wind against your back to prevent getting chilled from sweating
- Stay hydrated – Drinking water is just as important in the winter as it is in the summer
- Change post run – Getting out of cold, potentially wet clothes is important to prevent your core body temperature from dropping
Whether you are an experienced runner or just starting, staying motivated, having fun, and listening to your body can help you succeed! Running in unfamiliar conditions can also lead to injuries and pain or discomfort, so be sure to seek professional help from a foot care specialist. A board-certified podiatrist can help assess your foot health, as well as diagnose and treat any issues you may experience along the way.
Your Next Step offers high quality podiatric care in the greater Philadelphia area by board-certified podiatrists Dr. Eric Ricefield, Dr. Mark Yagodich and Dr. Aliza V. Eisen. Our dedicated podiatrists and staff use advanced state-of-the-art technologies like the Tenex Health System, laser treatment for fungal infections, and custom orthotics to treat a variety of foot and ankle conditions, such as heel pain, sports injuries, toe deformities, diabetic foot problems, pediatric issues, arthritis, and neuromas. To schedule an appointment, contact us at any of our locations in Ardmore, Paoli, and Downingtown today!