Haglund’s Deformity is classified as a bony enlargement that occurs on the back of your heel. Your Achilles tendon has soft tissue near it, and when it becomes irritated, you will find the enlargement rubs against your shoes. In doing so, you will experience bursitis. Though many causes bring this condition to light, thankfully, some preventative measures and treatments can help you.
How to Treat Haglund’s Deformity
- Medication-a podiatrist can prescribe medication that will reduce the inflammation and the pain of this condition.
- Changing your footwear by wearing backless shoes or shoes with a softer back will help to lessen your irritation.
- Heel pads-pads placed inside your shoe will offer a vital cushion to your heel and help irritation. If you have arch issues, you may find you need heel lifts in your shoe to cause a decrease in the pressure placed upon your heel.
- The physical therapy-a podiatrist may also have you see a physical therapist to help your inflammation.
- Specialized exercises-stretching and other exercises can help relieve the tension on the Achilles tendon. If you have issues with a tight heel cord, this is especially helpful.
- Custom orthotics-custom orthotics are specialized and customized to your feet. They will support the range of motion for your feet and help to control it.
If the above methods do not work, your podiatrist may decide surgery is the only option left for you. It is vital if this occurs, you follow the podiatrist’s instructions entirely so you can heal properly.
Our dedicated team at Your Next Step Podiatry can heal the problems in your heels, ankles, and feet. We have a professional and loyal group of doctors that care for you and your health. Dr. Eric Ricefield, Dr. Mark Yagodich, Dr. Aliza V. Eisen are a fantastic team that will offer skin lesion treatment, nail laser centers, and helps with Achilles tendonitis and plantar fasciitis. Our offices are located in the beautiful areas of Montgomery County, Greater Philadelphia, Downingtown, and the Greater Philadelphia area and in Paoli. Offering you the best treatment, we can heal any issue that comes your way. Call our office in Downingtown at (610) 873-0322 or our Ardmore office at (610) 642-8837 to schedule an appointment today.