Podiatric problems often become more difficult to treat as they progress, and since they may also be a sign of more serious health problems like diabetes and peripheral artery disease, it is important to get the proper diagnosis and treatment to avoid the possibility of more chronic or debilitating problems.
Your feet and ankles have a large number of bones, joints, muscles, ligaments, and tendons that do a great job of supporting the rest of your body, but they also need to be taken care of so you can hopefully avoid some of the debilitating conditions that occur with age and exercise. Taking good care of your feet and having regular exams by your podiatrist can help promote your best foot and ankle health.
6 reasons you should consult with your podiatrist
- Lasting pain – Severe pain that doesn’t subside after a few days of rest, ice, compression, elevation, and pain meds should be tended to by your foot specialist ASAP. The innovative Tenex Health TX can definitively treat chronic heel pain.
- Toenail changes – A yellowing of your toenails may be an indication of a fungal nail infection. A bad odor and yellowish discharge emanating from the infected nail may also be evident.
- Bunions – These and other toe deformities should always be checked out and treated by your podiatrist since they can worsen over time and then require surgery.
- Skin abnormalities – Corns and calluses can be difficult to properly treat on your own without causing cuts, so have it done professionally by your podiatrist.
- Numbness – This can be caused by a variety of conditions, including diabetes, and peripheral artery disease. It is not something to ignore.
- Wounds that are not healing properly – Patients with diabetes need to be especially careful about this. Infection and amputation can result if quick action isn’t taken.
If you are experiencing any pain or discomfort with your feet and ankles, schedule an appointment with your foot doctor. At Your Next Step, our team of board-certified podiatrists can help diagnose and treat a variety of foot and ankle problems, including sports injuries, joint pain, toe deformities, nail fungus, chronic tendon pain, and skin problems. Dr. Eric Ricefield, Dr. Mark Yagodich, and Dr. Aliza V. Eisen provide high-quality foot and ankle care to patients in the greater Philadelphia area at our modern and convenient offices in Ardmore, Paoli, and Downingtown, PA. Please contact us for more information or to schedule an appointment.