As Valentine’s Day approaches, you may be thinking of ways to surprise your significant other. Flowers, chocolates, and romantic dinners are all common ways to show your love and appreciation, but there’s nothing like a foot massage that can get your special someone in a truly relaxed state. Master these foot massage techniques and give it a try!
- Start with a warm, soothing foot bath. You can set the mood by adding essential oils or bubbles. Let feet soak for about 10 minutes, then gently pat dry.
- Take each foot and slowly rotate the ankle clockwise, then counterclockwise. Repeat with each toe to get the blood flowing.
- Choose a foot cream or oil to hydrate the skin and gently massage it in.
- Slowly alternate pushing your thumbs up and down the sole of each foot. Start gently and slowly increase pressure.
- Make small circles just below the ball of the foot. Repeat around the heel.
- Massage the length of the foot by sliding one thumbs towards each other from opposite ends of the foot.
- Interlace your fingers around the foot and slide hands up and down along with foot while pressing with your thumbs.
- Rub fingers between the long bones of foot.
- Gently squeeze the hollow under the ankle bone and rub along the Achilles tendon towards the calf muscles to release tension.
Always check in with your partner to see if the pressure and touch is right, and take your time on problem areas. By the end of the massage, someone’s feet will be very happy!
If you have any foot or ankle concerns, it is always best to consult with a board-certified podiatrist for advice and treatment. Your Next Step provides patients of all ages with top quality individualized foot and ankle care. Our team of podiatrists, Dr. Eric Ricefield, Dr. Mark Yagodich and Dr. Aliza V. Eisen, use innovative technologies to address common problems such as chronic tendon pain, plantar fasciitis, ingrown toenails, nail fungus, pediatric foot problems, toe deformities, and diabetic foot problems. We have 3 offices located in Ardmore, Paoli, and Downingtown to best serve the greater Philadelphia area. Visit us online and contact us for an appointment today!