The winter season is an exciting time for winter sport enthusiasts and each year, millions of people venture to ski slopes, mountains and skating rinks for some fun. Although these activities can be full of fun and great memories, foot injuries such as ankle sprains, strains, dislocations, and fractures commonly occur.
In many cases, injuries can be prevented by following these winter sport safety tips:
- Have a buddy system – Whether you are a beginner or an expert, having someone else with you is both more fun and more safe. That way, if you need assistance, someone can go get help immediately.
- Warm up first – Especially in cold temperatures, your muscles are susceptible to injury, so stretch and warm up before engaging in an activity.
- Wear appropriate safety equipment – Helmets, goggles, proper boots and equipment are all essential to protecting your body and preventing injury.
- Dress in layers – Protecting your extremities in insulating layers can help prevent conditions like chilblains or frostbite.
- Stay hydrated – Drink plenty of fluids before and after activity to keep body hydrated.
- Take breaks – Your body exerts even more energy when cold, so take breaks and allow your body to warm up and recover.
- Be informed – If it’s your first time engaging in an activity, be sure to know all of the rules and take lessons to know how to fall and avoid unnecessary injury.
Staying healthy, warm, and nourished during your winter activities can help prevent many of the common injuries, but accidents can also occur. If you sustained an injury to your foot or ankle, seek help from a podiatrist immediately for diagnosis and treatment.
Your Next Step is equipped with a team of board-certified podiatrists and advanced technologies to ensure the most efficient and effective recovery from podiatric injuries and conditions. From muscle and tendon injuries to fractures, heel pain, and nail fungus, Dr. Eric Ricefield, Dr. Mark Yagodich and Dr. Aliza V. Eisen provide compassionate care to each patient. Contact us for an appointment at our locations in Ardmore, Paoli, and Downingtown, PA today!