It’s hard to believe that summer is almost over! Maybe you’re not ready to hear those words just yet, but for the children, it’s never too early to begin preparing for the return to school. One of the most important purchases you will make is your child’s shoes. Today, Dr. Eric Ricefield, Dr. Mark Yagodich, and Dr. Aliza V. Eisen of greater Philadelphia’s Your Next Step Foot and Ankle Care Center are sharing their 10 tips to keep in mind when shopping.
It’s time to take advantage of all the back-to-school sales that are going on, including shoes! It’s the perfect opportunity to send your kids back to school in comfortable new shoes that will properly support their growing feet. When shopping for their shoes, keep these tips in mind.
- Bring along a pair of socks to wear with the shoes. They should be the socks your child will be wearing to school.
- Go shopping for shoes in the afternoon hours when your child’s feet tend to be biggest.
- Make sure there is approximately a thumb’s width of space from the longest toe to the front of the shoe.
- Make sure the heel doesn’t slip while walking.
- Make sure the soles of the shoes are flexible but sturdy. They shouldn’t bend too easily.
- Because one foot can be a different size than the other, always have your child try the shoes on BOTH feet and go with the size for the larger foot.
- For shock absorption, insoles should provide support in the heels and arches.
- Pay special attention to the shape of the toe box. The shoes should never squeeze your child’s toes.
- Your child shouldn’t need to have their shoes “broken in.” They should feel comfortable right from the start!
- To avoid slipping, choose shoes that have treads.
While it’s tempting to select shoes based on looks (especially for teens), following these guidelines can help you choose a shoe that can support your children’s feet properly and helps to prevent ankle and foot issues. If your children experience these issues, our team of experts are here to address them so your children can focus on learning and playing!
The team at greater Philadelphia’s Your Next Step Foot and Ankle Care Center treats a wide range of foot and ankle problems, including ankle sprains, skin and toenail issues, sports injuries, and heel pain. They also specialize in pediatric foot care.
Click here to locate the office nearest you and schedule an appointment today.