Healthy feet are an important part of overall body health, and if you don’t properly care for them, you may develop issues that go beyond being able to walk. To help keep your feet healthy, today, Dr. Eric Ricefield, Dr. Mark Yagodich, and Dr. Aliza V. Eisen of greater Philadelphia’s Your Next Step Foot and Ankle Care Center are sharing their 6 top tips for proper foot health.
- Take control of your diabetes. Left unmanaged, diabetes can lead to numerous complications, including circulation problems, resulting in amputation. If you have diabetes, be sure to take control of it by taking your medications if needed, seeing your primary care provider regularly, and making necessary lifestyle changes.
- Your shoes matter. If you’re purchasing shoes from a store, try them on and take a lap around the store to make sure they’re the right fit. Shoes that don’t fit properly can create several foot issues, including plantar fasciitis, heel pain, and calluses. Also, when choosing shoes, consider the activities you plan to use them for. If you’re using them for outdoor activities, choose a pair with tread to support your heels and ankles.
- Examine your feet regularly. If left unmanaged, some cuts, redness, swelling, and blisters can result in more serious complications. It is particularly true if you have circulation issues from conditions such as diabetes.
- Stretch your feet. Stretching your feet helps keep the muscles that support them flexible. Regularly exercising and stretching your feet can help alleviate the pressure you put on them. Try flexibility exercises such as toe raising.
- Stop smoking. If you smoke, stop – smoking causes changes in your blood vessels, which creates issues with your blood circulation.
- Get regular foot exams. If you’re feeling discomfort or other symptoms in your feet, visit your podiatrist, exclusively trained to evaluate and treat conditions affecting your feet.
If you are experiencing any issues with your feet or ankles, please contact the offices of greater Philadelphia’s Your Next Step Foot and Ankle Care Center. Click here to locate the office nearest you and schedule an appointment today!