The ankle is a complex structure made up of many bones, tendons, ligaments, and other tissues that hold it all together. While your ankle is normally quite strong and does the difficult task of supporting your weight as you work and exercise, all those components are subject to injury and disease that can cause debilitating pain and discomfort. Since issues like chronic lateral ankle pain can be challenging to pinpoint, see your foot doctor for the proper diagnosis and treatment.
7 problems that often contribute to ankle pain and discomfort include the following:
- Hairline or stress fracture
- Achilles tendon injury
- Ankle sprain or strain
- Plantar fasciitis
The RICE protocol is used to treat many foot and ankle injuries:
- Resting—Take the weight off of the ankle to avoid causing further damage.
- Icing—Apply an ice pack for 15 minutes several times a day.
- Compression—Compression bandages can be wrapped around the ankle to reduce movement and swelling.
- Elevation—Lying down and raising your foot on a pillow so that it is above the height of your heart will help to reduce swelling.
If your ankle pain and discomfort do not subside after a few days, it may be a sign of a more serious problem requiring the expertise of your foot doctor. At Your Next Step, our team of board-certified podiatrists has access to advanced technologies, along with years of experience, to help diagnose and treat a variety of foot and ankle problems, including sports injuries, joint pain, toe deformities, nail fungus, chronic tendon pain, and skin problems. Dr. Eric Ricefield, Dr. Mark Yagodich, and Dr. Aliza V. Eisen provide high-quality foot and ankle care to patients in the greater Philadelphia area at our offices conveniently located in Ardmore, Paoli, and Downingtown, PA. Please contact us for more information or to schedule an appointment.