Summer is here, and there are many benefits to participating in outdoor activities such as hiking! Whether you’re just taking a short hike around the block or embarking on an epic journey like tackling the Appalachian Trail, the benefits of hiking are multifold and include the following:
- Boost your energy!—There’s no better way to boost your energy than to take a nice long hike. It will lift your mood and rid your body of pent up stress, giving you an anxiety free experience long after the hike is complete.
- Lose weight—Every pound you lose takes the equivalent of about 3 pounds of pressure off of your ankles, so go for it!
- Aid diabetes management—Exercising and a balanced diet go hand in hand for proper health. By avoiding sugar (which is admittedly incredibly hard to do!), you help your body avoid the common complications that come with diabetes.
- Decrease blood pressure —Hiking is a fabulous way to get exercise and reduce your risk of increasing your blood pressure in the process.
- Prevent arthritis—Hiking can limit the loss of calcium and increase the strength of muscles, joints, ligaments and tendons to prevent fractures and other foot and ankle injuries.
With all the beautiful scenery and health benefits incorporated in a hiking adventure, it’s surprising that more people aren’t out on the trails. Take advantage of the many benefits and get out there and make hiking a part of your regular routine. To make sure your feet and ankles are up to the task, consult with your foot specialist for advice before you head out.
At Your Next Step, our team of board-certified podiatrists has access to advanced technologies, along with years of experience to help diagnose and treat a variety of foot and ankle problems, including sports injuries, joint pain, toe deformities, nail fungus, chronic tendon pain, and skin problems. Dr. Eric Ricefield, Dr. Mark Yagodich and Dr. Aliza V. Eisen provide high quality foot and ankle care to patients in the greater Philadelphia area at our offices conveniently located in Ardmore, Paoli, and Downingtown. Please contact us for more information or to schedule an appointment.