Spring is just around the corner, which means warmer temperatures and greenery returning to the outdoors! For those who have been exercising indoors all winter, it is an exciting time to transition your workout outdoors. However, it is important to proceed carefully, as there are many differences between exercising indoors and outdoors, especially when it comes to running. Follow these tips for a smooth transition without injuries!
- Start slow – Running 4 miles on the treadmill does not mean you can run 4 miles outside on the hard pavement in colder temperatures. Give your body time to adjust to the harder workout by doing less and allowing yourself to walk rather than run.
- Still use the gym – You may take your running outside, but continue using the gym to split long runs and for cross-training to keep up your muscle strength.
- Plan your path – Pre-pick an exercise route so that you’re not caught off guard by longer routes.
- Choose trails – Running on pavement can be stressful on your body, so choose a softer surface like a dirt path. However, beware of uneven surfaces!
- Be prepared – Don’t forget to dress appropriately for the outside weather, stay hydrated, and bring your ID and phone for emergencies!
It may be a frustrating few weeks until your body adapts to the outdoors, but with diligent warm ups, cool downs, and proper body care, you will be able to prevent many common injuries. If you experience any foot or ankle pain, or have questions about a smoother transition, consult with our board-certified team of podiatrists at Your Next Step.
Dr. Eric Ricefield, Dr. Mark Yagodich and Dr. Aliza V. Eisen diagnose and treat all types of foot and ankle injuries, including heel pain, sports injuries, chronic tendon pain, pediatric foot problems, diabetic foot conditions, nail fungus, nerve issues, toe deformities and nail fungus. We use innovative technologies like the Tenex Health System and fungal nail laser therapy to provide fast and effective relief, and provide 3 convenient locations in Ardmore, Paoli, and Downingtown, PA. Please contact us for an appointment today!