Football season has officially started, and we are already hearing about injuries and players who are unfortunately out for the rest of the season. Despite rigorous training and care, a high contact sport like football leads to unexpected injuries, especially in the feet and ankles.
The most common injuries are:
- Ankle sprains – Running, jumping, and collisions can lead to stretching or tearing the ligaments that support the ankle bone. Swelling, pain, and the inability to bear weight are common symptoms.
- Fractures – The speed and power that football players collide at are staggering, and the high impact can result in broken bones. Repetitive pressure on the bone can lead to small cracks, typically in the metatarsals, and sudden excessive force can lead to a complete break.
- Plantar fasciitis – The connective tissue that acts as a shock absorber during walking, running, and jumping can take a beating during a game. When it becomes irritated, torn, or inflamed, plantar fasciitis develops and causes heel pain, swelling, and tenderness.
- Turf toe – The constant stopping and going and quick changes in direction can cause a sprain in the big toe joint, which leads to stiffness, pain, and swelling.
- Achilles Tendinitis – The large tendon that connects the heel bone to the calf muscles endures a lot of stress from any pushing off movement and can lead to injury and inflammation. In severe cases, the tendon can rupture.
A successful recovery is dependent on how you care for your injury. The first step is to see a foot care specialist who is skilled and experienced in treating sports injuries.
Your Next Step has a team of board-certified podiatrists Dr. Eric Ricefield, Dr. Mark Yagodich and Dr. Aliza V. Eisen who use innovative modern technologies to address your foot and ankle issues with commitment and compassionate care. If you have a sports injury, chronic tendon pain, nail fungus, toe deformities, or diabetic foot problems, all you need to do is schedule an appointment at one of our convenient locations in Ardmore, Paoli, or Downingtown, PA. Please explore our website and contact us online today!