Do you have heel pain? Does it hurt when you first get up in the morning, or after long periods of sitting? You may have a condition called plantar fasciitis, which affects the connective tissue that runs along your arch from your heel bone to the toes. The plantar fascia functions to support your arch and as a shock absorption during landing of the foot. It is a common podiatric condition and affects many athletes, especially runners who endure lots of repetitive motions.
What are the symptoms?
- Sharp, stabbing, dull or achy pain in the heel
- Burning sensation on the bottom of the foot
How is it treated?
If you experience any heel pain, see a podiatrist for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. Podiatrists will typically prescribe conservative treatments such as:
- Physical therapy to strengthen surrounding muscles
- Night splints to alleviate pressure
- Custom orthotics to help support the heel
In some severe cases, surgery, extracorporeal shockwave therapy, or other treatments may be recommended or necessary.
The following are things you can do on your own to prevent and improve plantar fasciitis:
- Wear properly-fitting footwear
- Stretch regularly before exercise
- Instead of running or other repetitive intense activities, try a sport like swimming that is low-impact
- Alternate footwear to prevent overuse
- Maintain a healthy weight
No one wants to experience heel pain, regardless of what type of exercise you engage in, so see a podiatrist you can trust as soon as possible. At Your Next Step, located in Ardmore, Paoli, and Downingtown, PA, a passionate team of podiatrists are ready to help you find relief from pain and discomfort. Dr. Eric Ricefield, Dr. Mark Yagodich and Dr. Aliza V. Eisen have been helping patients with conditions like sports injuries, nail fungus, arch problems, diabetic foot problems, and toe deformities. Your Next Step uses innovative technologies to ensure that you can recover quickly and effectively. Please visit our website for more information about the practice and our conveniently located offices to schedule your appointment today!