Claw toes are a condition that causes your toes to bend into a position that looks like a claw. Most people confuse it for hammertoe, but clawed toes will bend down. While it can cause discomfort and cause mobility issues or corns developing, the real problem is this condition could be a sign of deeper issues such as diabetes, CMT, a stroke, Rheumatoid Arthritis, or Cerebral palsy.
How To Care For Claw Toe Includes The Following Options:
- Exercising-If you can still move your toes, a podiatrist can tell you movements that will prevent your feet from getting worse.
- Change shoes-you will need to stop wearing tight shoes or high heels. It causes too much discomfort. Your foot doctor will most likely have custom orthotics made for you. If not, look for a shoe with a deeper toe area or obtain a pad for the pressure upon the ball of your foot.
- Tape and splints-this will only work if you can still move your toes. Your podiatrist may tape your toes or put a splint on them to correct them and place them in the proper position.
- Surgery-if nothing else works, surgery will be the course of action. There are a plethora of different options the doctor can take.
- Extended treatment-if your claw toe is indeed the result of an underlying condition, the doctor will advise you on what to do.
If you do have to undergo surgery, you will heal in six weeks. It may seem like a long time, but it prevents you from having a permanent deformity. If you can no longer move your toes, be sure to come in immediately so the doctor can save your feet while they can.
Our team at Your Next Step Podiatry can help with your feet. Board-certified Dr. Eric Ricefield, Dr. Mark Yagodich, and Dr. Aliza V. Eisen, board qualified, offer Nail Lasers, Plantar Fasciitis treatment, skin lesion treatment, and treatment for Melanoma. With offices in Montgomery County, Greater Philadelphia, Paoli, Ardmore, Chester County, and Downingtown, we can help you wherever you are. Call our office In Downingtown at (610) 873-0322 or the Ardmore office at (610) – 642-8837